Thursday, April 18, 2013

R'Dam - Week 1+


Home Cold Home - don't let it fool you, the tile is icey, and many spots are sticky...it's a crap shoot of what to touch and what not to touch :)

It has officially been over a week since I moved (well there was that one week that I was here for like 4 days, but I'm not counting that).  I currently have a temporary residence permit emblazoned in my passport (taking up a precious page...mental note - order more), I am on the way to getting a bankcard (and thus will stop mooching off of coworkers for lunch), I have full heat and power in my apartment (there was a moment when I thought I would have neither), and a European phone and phone number.

All-in-all, one could say I'm fairly settled (except for internet at home, and the lack of a comfy bed - yes, I get to sleep on either side of this "double" bed).  I know how to get home (and not just by looking for the big "COMPUTERLAND" sign on the corner), I've successfully ridden the metro and train - though success is a loose term for the train...if we call it "getting home", then yes, I have made it to my destination and back, but not without hiccups (apparently, one must wait at a certain part of the platform, as one cannot walk the length of it when a smaller train arrives...).  I know bartenders at 2 separate bars, both of whom wave as I pass, I've experienced a music festival (and met some lovely girls), and had 2 dates (no love connections, but nice to have dinner and drinks with another person - and I have a few lessons to learn as the European men waste no time in expressing or pursuing).

I had a great first weekend, I happened to find a folk band I like was playing in Rotterdam at a music festival, so I bought a ticket - it was a great event - saw a few shows, a 1-woman performance, and met a couple nice Dutch girls.  Plus, even though it was cold - it didn't rain :).
Bands (clockwise from left): Jacco Gardner, The Mister and Mississippi, Broken Brass Ensemble,
Teen, Retro Stefson, Wild Belle, Mr and MS again, The Milk Carton Kids (who I went to see).
I also saw Marble Sounds, and the performance was 7 Day Drunk, where the live performance was a re-cap of the project she did to see if she was more creative being drunk... so the experiment was to keep her drunk for 7 days...7 vodka shots in the morning?!? Yuck - the result was yes, she was more creative.

I've planned to stay in Holland all month, just to feel more settled, and not so worn out from travel, but I can definitely feel my feet wanting to take me more places.  Realizing weekends go quickly, and that I need to plan ahead for the cheapest plane tickets.  Lots to do and see, and yet wanting to feel just like I live here and am not gone every second will be my biggest challenge.  Been keeping busy enough to not feel homesick, and I love my friends who are night owls and are awake while I'm at work.  Nice to be able to chat, as I'll be offline more likely than not by the time they are to work.  All in all, I can say I'm really enjoying it to date!  Looking forward for me adventures and meeting more new people!!  Vaarwel!

No comments:

Post a Comment