Tuesday, April 16, 2013

European Style

Thoughts on life in Europe thus far (I figure I'm the most fresh to notice them having only been here a short time, and I'm still on high alert for differences).
The pizza and wine :) 

I apparently have taken to drinking white wine, attempting to eat Continental style (even with pizza), and have realized I am not sure it's a compliment when someone thinks I'm from the UK (but to give him a break, he's Spanish, English accents probably aren't his forte) - but most continental Europeans consider the British to be really loud (says the pot calling the kettle black - the Dutch inside and outside voices are the same).
Dutch-style sandwich - see the fried kroket?
You smash it and slather with mustard:)




I love the cultural blend I have found in my office so far (note the Spanish guy), and appreciate that everyone is willing to speak English (but often stay in Dutch, translating if they feel important).

I believe I am starting to mix up when to use my verbs and nouns, and adding in unneeded words prepositions... can I get for you another glass of wine (opposed to can I get you), I could get or would do, I have had...sorry, my American-English will probably go downhill.

View from my office
Best quiche!
And being that I really speak no other language, but only know how to say a few words in some, I get confused when saying thank you - I know I'm not supposed to say it in English, so sometimes it comes out German, sometimes French, every once in a while Russian, but still not very comfortably in Dutch.

I've also lost any gay-dar I may have possessed in the states... not to mention my ability to distinguish ages...

The Dutch are reserved, but not unfriendly, they admit they are cheap and that they walk fast.  They are competitive and direct.  They can be a bit racist, and have less PC terms than we do (well them and most of Europe, is what I'm learning...), and mostly they really are not religious-at all (some churches have apparently been turned into restaurants or bars).

Things (note NOT people related) I miss the most from home/ wish I'd brought:
1) All bathroom taps only have cold water - and it gets icey rather quick - I really miss warm water!
2) My slippers! Who knew my apartment floors would be so cold!
They love kipsate! (Chicken with peanut sauce)
3) My teddy bear... :)
4) My little slim, black travel purse - I thought, oh I'm bringing enough, I don't need that... I so could have thrown it in!
5) I wish I'd bought an iPad...taking my computer home every night or away for weekends will not be happening...and since I've discovered Cougartown in bed at night, I may have to convince a friend to visit with said iPad
6) Full use of my iPhone - the Blackberry dies before day end due to whatsapp and viber, it has a horrible map/navigation system, it freezes constantly, and the web browser is so slow to load anything!
7) Pedestrians always having the right of way!

No comments:

Post a Comment