Thursday, January 1, 2015

We have arrived in the future...

It's crazy to think that in 1985, movies predicted that in 2015 we would have hover boards.  Yet, I suppose we have come a long ways since what 1985 was about - I mean if I said I was going to blog back then you may have thought I was trudging through a bog? (you can laugh now)

As you can predict, like I do every year, I will be making resolutions in this January 1, 2015 blog post.  But first, a quick look back to last year, and the apparently 'unusual' thing I did with my resolutions.  If you remember correctly, rather than making one resolution I would likely only keep for a month (if I was lucky), I was going to make 12 (The year I turned 32) - everything from spending less, finishing books, working out, trying new things or doing more of old things.  My favorite thing was actually something I didn't put on the list!  Instead of going cross country skiing, I tried rock climbing (and loved! it).

Last year was a year to focus on improving/analyzing me.  And it was interesting how multiple mediums reaffirmed what I was going through (from books to therapy to conversations with friends and even some movies).  I can look back now and clearly see the direction of last year was to be more okay with me, to know myself a little better, and to be more gentle with me - even though it was a year I cried more than I have in a long long time.  Growing pains much? (though, I gotta say, for all the hard times there was a LOT of good in 2014!)

Let's just say, I'm hopeful and excited for the 'clean slate' that the new year brings.  And found that my 12 months of resolutions were a great thing for me (and it sounds as though I may have inspired a few people to try it themselves? I'm excited to hear what they pick!).  It was fun for me, having something new to look forward to, having people ask about which one I was on that month or how it was going, and I allowed myself to fail.  There wasn't one month that I hit the mark 100%, I'd say I completed around 50% of each.  I found that the mix between improvement and fun things was appropriate, though I would look forward to the next month, but didn't allow myself to "start early".

The things I would like to focus on this year - fit back into a certain little black dress, purge the stuff, find more ways to incorporate spirituality into my life, spend less, and be less busy.  And knowing how this last year went (I was super looking forward to the dance month...and only went 1 time when it came to it!!), I think this year I will put 12 resolutions in a 'hat', and pick one at the start of each month.  So off the cuff, without much ado here is the plan for the year!

1. Meditate 3 nights a week before bed
2. Scrapbook my year in Europe - 1 page and favorite memory from each place AND find a way to display concert and football tickets
3. Do something active outdoors every weekend
4. Don't plan anything (additional) for the month
5. Start each work day with 5 minutes of prayer
6. Run an 8k (I know it sounds wimpy, but the most I've done now is 5ks...baby steps)
7. Cook completely through 1 cookbook - get rid of any where there isn't 7 things I would like to make
8. Don't watch TV during the week days
9. Check out Martha Stewart's guide to housekeeping from the library - and clean at least 3 things that I've not cleaned in my house
10. Get rid of non-sentimental things not used in the last year
11. Don't buy any entertainment items (books, music, movies, concert tickets, plane tickets, etc)
12. Pick 1 class from the gym - go 2x every week

Now, what are you resolving to do in the Back to the Future year you have arrived in?

No comments:

Post a Comment