Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Ditgen Guide to Packing

Ever since I was little, I remember my dad being super efficient at packing a car trunk.  We drove a little Toyota Corolla when I was growing up, and because it was the most fuel efficient, it was often what we'd take for road trips and to see family for holidays.  And of course when we went to the families for holidays, that was a huge ordeal - lots of presents, a few days' clothes worth, food, and my dad's keyboard, stand, and speaker.  And no matter what, everything fit, and no bows were smushed (my mother is a wizz with bows btw).

When I moved to college, everything went in my parents mini van, and this trend continued on.  Btw if you want 2 expert movers, my parents make a rad pair.  My mom is efficient at cleaning and boxing up in an organized way, while my dad gets his cardio busing them and organizing them in whatever vehicle he gets to transport the goods.

Maybe it's just simply a space puzzle that is fun to figure out, or I inherited the skillz from my pops, but either way, I can pack like none other.  So without much more talking, here's what I keep in mind when I'm packing up my goods:

  1. It's all about not rushing - do not do this last minute! You'll forget something, pack too many shirts and no underwear, or pack things that you never wear at home (if you don't wear it at home, you won't on vacation!!!!).
  2. Always pack what you love to wear the most.  If you love it, you're more willing to wear it more than once and also know how it pairs with most of your clothes.  This is important especially if you're a moody dresser.
  3. When you can't figure out what to bring - put aside what you MUST bring - count the underwear and socks and put them next to the bag.  Move to the toiletries if you are still stumped :).
  4. Start with the bottom half.  I always decides what pants, shorts, or skirts to pack first.  This is the base, and you can more easily figure out the shoes and tops.  Pants don't get dirty - you can wear them more than once.
  5. Of course go minimalist on shoes.  I know, curse me for that, but it's true.  They take up most of the space - even when you pack socks and underwear into them.  I prefer to puzzle them on the bottom of my bag and pack around them the extra socks, PJs, gym clothes (we'll talk about THIS one), or any other small thing that doesn't matter if it is near your shoes.  For a long weekend, a pair of heels, a good pair of walking shoes (no trainers), a pair of flats, and flip flops should suffice.  I would say the heels/walking shoes could be traded out for boots - but you'll be wearing these on the flight/ train ride.  Duh, wear the biggest shoes :)
  6. Ok, the hard part is the tops.  I personally don't like to re-wear shirts, so I tend to pack something for every day.  ALWAYS roll your tops.  These little shirt sausages make good fillers for weird spaces. If it's too bulky when rolled, resort to folding as normal. 
  7. Gym clothes - yes, we all think "yes, I will work out", but unless you do so every day at home or are sure you have a place to. Re-think it.  If I'm gone for more than 1 week, I'll pack them - and even then, I only take 1 pant, as many socks as will fit in the shoes, and 2 tops.  I was also blessed by a father who doesn't smell when he sweats, so yeah, I just let them air dry.  But who am I kidding, I'll only use them once anyway.... :)
  8. If it's a work/personal trip, always start with what you need for work.  Pick outfits that you like and are happy to wear to dinner after work - not worrying about a second set of "play clothes" is key.  But if you must, pick "play clothes" that work for personal and with coworkers.  Yes, I will look hot in the hot pink and grey dress, but don't need to wear that around my boss.
  9. Toiletries - I realize I use very few products, and I tend to just use what they have in hotel bathrooms for shampoo/conditioner.  I only pack deodorant, toothpaste/brush, face lotion and contact solution (and a mini sunscreen for THIS weekend!).  I sometimes combine makeup and jewelry into my 1qt bag, but only if I feel it's necessary.  I pick the makeup that has multiple color options and I had a lovely friend who gave me travel brushes.  I always have a spare mascara and foundation in my travel bag, I hate having to remember them last thing in the morning.  And if you don't put that toiletries bag in last and on top... I will hunt you down for making that security line take so long!!!
  10. Hair - sometimes I only take a little brush, and I never travel with a hairdryer anymore.  Most everyone has one, and hotels always do.  Worst comes to worst, you throw it back anyway, right?
Below are pics and what I packed for a 9 day trip.  Luckily it's summer, so clothes are smaller, but I did have to pack for a weekend in wine country, 3 days of work, 2 days on the plane and a weekend in Amsterdam.  
Included are:
10 pairs underwear
2 pairs socks
1 pair converse (one of these pairs of shoes I'll be wearing on the plane)
1 pair orange flats
1 pair flip flops
1 pair heels
1 extra bra (I'll have the one I'm wearing)
1 bathing suit
1 pair pjs
1 work skirt (with the plan to wear twice)
1 play skirt (which is comfy and I'll happily wear on the plane - I've got a couple trans-atlantic flights, and my leggings have holes)
2 play dresses (can be worn in Bordeaux, a night with a friend in Seattle, and in Amsterdam)
2 sweaters (one or both are planned to stay in Seattle)
1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of shorts
6 tshirts/tanks/camis
1 gift shirt

And this is the bag - purchased to use for long weekends (4-5 days).


Layer the shoes and loose items on the bottom, fold and stack your pants/skirts/dresses on one side, and any rolled shirts on the other and around the loose spaces.  Some packing sites are all about the multi-fold bundle where everything is all folded around eachother - my clothes never seem to fit that.  It looks messy, but the underwears will get flattened by the jeans.

Once all the necessities are in, step back and add that last thing you may want (the cardi or an extra pair of pants).  If you know you'll shop at your destination, zip it and wiggle it to see what space is left.  If there is none, cut the extra thing.  It got in last anyway... :)

All my cords and electronics will be with my 1 personal item :).  And the bag pictured is allowed on even Ryan Air flights - though then my personal item would have to fit in this bag.  But I'll be on KLM, so 1 carryon + 1 personal item is a-ok ;)  There will be space for that last minute item, and my 3rd work outfit will be worn to work tomorrow.  I don't suppose anyone in Rotterdam will report to anyone in Seattle of my re-wearing.

Hopefully this was useful, if not, oh well, it was fun for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment