Tuesday, February 2, 2010

NY Resolution: Month 1

Well, I have successfully held to my New Years Resolution for January.

I am 3 weeks through my 5 week dance classes (in case you feel so inclined, here's what I've taken - Lindy Hop and the Blues).  As I finish up these classes, I think the goal will be to keep dancing!  (and by the way, I went last night to the Haiti fundraiser dance after class, it was a hoppin' joint!  As I was leaving I noticed how loud the live band was and how I'm sure the neighbors probably didn't appreciate the music as much as we did inside ;-), I tried to find a website for the band, as they were fantastic, but I was unsuccessful - either way they are the Careless Lovers).

And while I have to say, I've been good about tracking my budget... not so sure it's working as well as I had intended.  I guess that just goes to show me, just since I have a budget, it doesn't mean my finances will improve.  Take for instance my Food budget.  This was a relatively hard one to set up! I mean, there are multiple categories - groceries, fast food, restaurants and the oh-so-evil alcohol & bars.  How much is reasonable for 1 person to spend on groceries in a month?  When do I start saying no to hanging out with friends to stick to the budget or how do I determine what is logical in the first place?!  Hmmmm, which led me to wonder.
What is the balance between going out with friends and being a homebody?

My determination is that being single is ridiculously expensive (and extremely painful to my liver... I think my life is kinda like Man vs Wild, except its Natalie vs Liver).
Over the past month, I've spent as much on food and booze as I have in rent.  Yikes! (Just think how many pairs of shoes that could have been....)  I thought December was bad due to the holidays, and this month would for sure get better...but I guess not.  I rationalize that I will never make friends or meet people in Seattle if I stay home.  And even if I attempt to save money by having friends over, I'm never going to meet the man of my dreams in my apartment (unless Edward magically jumps out of my books (wait I think I just referenced Twilight and Harry Potter in the same sentence, awesome, I'm a teen freak), or I could start a fire to get the fire department there...but I'm kinda guessing either of those scenarios will happen anytime soon).  

I also have friends in Seattle who aren't part of the same groups, so in order to stay in contact with all of them it necessitates going out with all of them separately...(note that in the list below, I haven't had happy hour with coworkers or hung out with Jeanne at all!)

For example, let's review the past few days:
Friday - Date (I'll recap later) - shared a bottle of wine, few drinks - relatively cheap for me, still bad for liver.
Natalie 1, Liver 0
Saturday - Monica's 30th Bday bash w/ Karissa and Lynsey - started out drinking at Lynsey's, moved to Kell's to finish the night off by buying more drinks...hey! some were for others
Natalie 1, Liver 0
Sunday - Met up with Sara for a business meeting...and a couple of beers
Natalie 1, Liver 0
Monday - Dancing - no drinks
Natalie 0, Liver 1
Tuesday - Drinks with Jackie
Natalie 1, Liver 0

Now, I'd say this is pretty common, except, I usually end up paying for alcohol on Friday nights as well, and have spent more than a couple Sundays glued to football at my local sports bars (Buckley's and Spitfire).  I know bartenders by name at both of these, as well as Zig Zag and the Local Vine.  Me, a regular?! Whaaaa?!

I tried thinking back to when I lived in P-town, and I remember spending lots of girls nights at Hillary's, with the occasional dinners at BWW, a few concerts or work outings (with Uncle D covering a lot of tabs... shhh!).  But don't think my spending was that extravagant.  And I think this was mostly because I had a boyfriend, or at least the majority of my girls did...

Which brings me to my conclusion... I spend way too much on alcohol & eating out - trust me the restaurant expense was just as much.  I know, it's a huge revelation, but it's true.  Now... on to figuring out ways to stop it!  Because, while my resolution was to keep a budget, I think I should make it to stick to one instead... :)

1 comment:

  1. when my house is done, you can come over and eat for free! i'll serve you, um, non alcoholic beverages!

    natalie 10, liver 10

    ReplyDelete